Dragon Mania Legends Wiki:Wiki Quick Reference Guide
This is a quick guide to help members with different aspects of the Dragon Mania Legends Wiki. The wiki is a constant work in progress and not all topics may be covered herein. Feel free to contact a member of the Staff if you have any questions or suggestions about something that is not covered.
The Navigation bar is on the left-hand side of every page with all the main links clearly visible and placed in section boxes by category. Only the main topics are listed in the Navigation bar, but searches for other pages can be done using the search box above the Navigation bar or by using the URL and typing the desired article after the slash.
Profile and Message Wall
Profile - Profile pages are labeled User page. You can reach your User page by either clicking on your account name or the user page tab located at the top of the page.
Message Wall - Message Wall pages are labeled Discussion. This page is accessed by clicking on the Discussion tab at the top of the page and can be used to post a message to an individual member.
Once you have created your account, you will need to set up your user profile (user page) and talk pages (discussion). Until you have something saved into your pages, you will be met with the Creating User or Creating User talk edit boxes on each of these. Note that only Autoconfirmed users are able to create user pages.
- User page: Simply add the information you want to show on your public profile and click Save page.
- Discussion page: Simply add the greeting you want the public to see when they visit this page and click Save page.
Once the initial creation of the page has been completed, more edits can always be made later by going to the page you wish to edit and clicking on the Edit tab at the top.
User Talk Pages
Commenting on user talk pages is different than commenting in the forums. Just follow these steps to make comments on a members' user talk pages.
- To sign and date your comment, just type four tildes:
- To start a new comment thread at the bottom of the page use the (+) button at the top of the page next to 'edit'.
- To add a comment to an existing thread, click on the edit link next to the topic you want to comment on. Scroll to the bottom of the edit box and begin your comment with a colon ( : ). Comment colons must alternate using a 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 pattern:
Thread post - (no colon)text(signature) ~~~~
1st comment - : (one colon)text(signature) ~~~~
2nd comment - :: (two colons)text(signature) ~~~~
3rd comment- ::: (three colons)text(signature) ~~~~
4th comment - : (one colon)text(signature) ~~~~
5th comment - :: (two colons)text(signature) ~~~~
6th comment - ::: (three colons)text(signature) ~~~~
Editing can be done by clicking on the Edit tab at the top of a page to visually edit a page or by clicking on the Edit Source tab to directly edit the coding. Once all desired text and coding has been added, click on Save page tab to submit the edit. Individual sections can be edited, as well, without the need to edit an entire page. A similar Edit or Edit Source button will appear next to the name of any section.
Undoing an edit
Undoing an edit can be done by clicking the View history tab at the top of the desired page, then clicking undo next to the edit that is to be reverted. Usually, only the most recent edit can be undone through that option, but some older edits might be undone through it, as well, as long as there are no conflicting intermediate edits. If you would like to restore the page to an earlier version, usually done when a vandal has edited the same page more than once, simply click the same tab as before, click the timestamp (which is shown next to the user who made that edit) of the version you would like to restore the page to, then click the edit source tab at the top of the page and then save the page.
Uploading Official Wiki Images
Uploading an individual image is done by clicking on the Upload file link under Tools in the Navigation bar on the left-hand side of the page. For multiple images that are in the same category, use the Multi-Upload link.
Uploading multiple images is slightly different than individual images. Follow these steps to upload multiple images:
- Click on the Multi-Upload link under Tools in the Navigation bar on the left-hand side of the page. (Note that it takes a few seconds for this link to fully load.)
- Click on the Choose Files button.
- Select all the files of the same category for uploading.
- Click on the Update the form button.
- In the Summary box type in the appropriate image category as described in the Manual of Style under Categorization.
- Click Upload all Images
- You should receive a pop-up box that states the images uploaded successfully. Click OK.
- The page will update with a green check mark on the right-hand side of each file. At the bottom of the page, click on Reset the form to begin uploading images for the next category.
- For each additional category of photos, follow steps 2-8 of this process.
Personal Use Images
- Official Wiki images will work in members' User and Talk pages.
- Links to personal images can be used, but the images themselves may not be directly uploaded to the wiki. (See: Code of Conduct)
Creating a New Page
Before creating a new page always search the topic thoroughly to make sure it is not covered under another page.
There are several predefined page models in the Manual of Style that will cover most situations in which a new page would need to be created. For those rare instances when a new page is needed that is not covered under the predefined models, there are several options available for creating it. When using any method, be sure to properly name, capitalize, and punctuate the page title being created.
|Option 1||Option 2|
|This is the preferred method for creating a new page as it helps ensure that the topic is not covered under another page or title.
This method uses the search engine to link to an article that does not exist by creating a red link.
|This method uses the URL and is less preferred as it is much easier to make errors with.
The URL to an article of the DML Wiki is usually something like this:
If neither of the methods shown above is preferable, the Create a new page link (which can also be found under the tools section of the sidebar to the left) can be used to create a new article. This is the easiest way to create a new page. Note that it takes a few seconds for this page to fully load.
- Slideshow - The slideshows in the galleries do not have adjustable sizes. This is something that pertains to the MediaWiki core itself, thus not something we are able to change. We are currently working on getting an alternative to resolve this issue, but there is no clear ETA and it is not high on the list of our priorities.
- Comments - Sometimes comments will not work and a red-highlighted error will be shown instead. To force comments to appear, open up the page in editing source mode and then click 'save' (null edit).
- Redirects - Redirects take a while to get updated, more than it is normal. Still trying to figure out the issue.
For suggestions, questions or complaints, please complete post on our support page.